Thursday, October 29, 2015

Directed Draw... Seahorse

I love art. I always try and incorporate art into our lessons. Some kids don't like art. However, through the use of directed draws, I can help them think a little differently about art and be successful.

Our first directed draw  was a seahorse. We use a permanent marker to draw because if we make a mistake we just "make it work". Often, the kids get so focused on wanting theirs to look perfect or just like the teacher. With using a permanent marker, we avoid perfection and just have fun.

I walk them through each drawing step, going line by line. The students also don't know what they are drawing so they can keep an open mind instead of thinking they "know" what it should look like. It usually only takes 1 directed draw to hook the kids in. Now every time I tell them to get their permanent markers, they squeal with excitement.

Here are our seahorses. I didn't get any pictures in the process this time, but here we are adding color.







No comments:

Post a Comment